Friday, July 14, 2017

DBT Training

Well, as it’s been all consuming for the last month I don’t think it would be very fair for me not to tell you about the Dialectical Behavior Training (DBT) training. The training was pretty straightforward, just me and a co facilitator, Metti, and 11 student clinicians. Metti was a great counterpart. She’d always interject when the class didn’t understand what I was saying which was great because I usually needed a break or I had no idea that they weren’t understanding me. The students were wonderful as well very interested and engaged, they were all trained nurses or physician’s assistants that had received six months of mental health counseling training from The Carter Center.

The training was at a place called La Lagune. I’ve been told that a Chinese person built it. It’s a nice place, it has a deck that they’ve built out over the water that functions as a restaurant area. They also have a pair of conference rooms, one of which we used for training. Of course only one of the two rooms had air conditioning and unfortunately that was not ours. In fact, the two conference rooms shared a wall that had windows that I faced while I was teaching. So the whole time that I was lecturing I could see the other group in their conference room and it looked great. But, c’est la vie, as they say.
Trainees hard at work

The training itself went well. I was pleasantly surprised the first morning that I arrived and was told there was breakfast prepared for the training. And, while we were scheduled to start at eight, breakfast wasn’t served until eight thirty and of course we couldn’t start until everyone had breakfast. So that pushed us back to about a nine thirty start time then we needed an hour and a half for lunch and we had to be done by four so everyone could avoid traffic. So I didn’t have quite as much time as I would have liked but it all worked out in the end.

Our training area
I’ve learned a few Liberian phrases since I’ve been here. “Small small” can mean “little by little”, for example, if someone asks you how well you’re understanding something, “small small” would be an appropriate response. However, if someone asks you how you’re doing and you replay “small small” then you’ve told them that there’s something small bothering you and they’ll be concerned.
“Don’t act like bell-ay” I wrote that last word phonetically but I believe it’s actually spelled “pbella”. Apparently a pbelle is an ignorant person and the phrase “don’t act like pbelle” means don’t act ignorant. For example if you were in a sketchy area someone might advise you, “don’t act like pbelle”. Although, when I arrived home and tried to act cool and throw out some phrases to the housekeeper and security I learned that Kpelle, which sounds very similar, is actually one of the sixteen tribes of Liberia and it’s a racist phrase to say “don’t act like Kpelle”. The housekeeper, Vicki, told me she is Kpelle and that the stereotype of Kpelle people is that they are ignorant. So now I don’t know what to think. I probably won’t use that phrase in mixed company.
View from the window

Speaking of the sixteen tribes I learned something else pretty amazing. Apparently most people in Liberia are at least bilingual. Something none of the books mentioned was that every tribe has its own language that survives today. And, most people know at least one tribal language in addition to English. Vicki apparently knows Kpelle and another tribal language. Jack, the security guard, knows English, French and Crown which is a tribe from Sierra Leone. That little bit of trivia has totally amazed me. I barely speak English and here I am surrounded by bi and tri lingual people.
Another interesting fact that Vicki told me is that during the Civil Wars in Liberia there were some racial divisions and genocides committed because of those divisions. So, in order to avoid the violence, Vicki learned to speak a second tribal language so she could pass as a member of that tribe if questioned about it.


Well that’s about it for this week. Feel free to reach out to me on email at timdaniel25@gmail.com, it’s nice to hear from people I don’t get the chance to talk to often.

No comments:

Post a Comment