Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Making Moves

Well, about a year ago I swore in as a Peace Corps Volunteer, kind of. We totally messed up the swearing in we couldn't remember all the words to the ritualistic chant that is scarily similar to what the Army uses to indoctrinate it's own volunteers. But that's beside the point. A few weeks before the swearing in my group voted for me and two other volunteers to give a little swearing in speech. In my speech I told my group and the attendees that today, July 4th, 2014, that every journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step (Thanks Rob). And tomorrow I take the first step on another journey, the one to Kwakwani.

Kwakwani is small mining town in the middle of Guyana. To get there, you travel from Georgetown to Linden (1.5 hrs.) then from Linden you get a bus to Kwakwani (3-6 hrs.). In the sense of actual travel, it's much easier to get to then Suddie in Essequibo but travel time fluctuates a lot and I imagine my patience may be tested to it's absolute limits in the next year. I'm taking up a new position as well, Peace Corps Volunteer Leader. Essentially I'll be looking out for the new volunteers in the area. There'll be 4 or 5 new GUY 27s that'll be using my house as a base if they need to come in and get some internet, or just hang out and be around some other Americans. I'm looking forward to it, a little nervous since it's essentially starting service over in an entirely new area, but I didn't come down here to be comfortable. I came down here to test myself, see how much the things that I say matter to me actually do. This is another part of that test.


No comments:

Post a Comment