Friday, July 4, 2014

Moving Day

Hi All,

Well, a lot has happened since I posted last. Yesterday, I swore in as an official Peace Corps Volunteer, so that was exciting. I saw my new site, it looks like Vietnam in Rambo and Apocalypse Now right before the bombs drop. It's called Suddie and it's on the west coast of Guyana. I can almost see the ocean from my house.

My new family is cool. They're a bunch of truck drivers and they drive back and forth from Georgetown carrying loads of gravel and sand. The mom takes care of me though. I have my own little house at the back of the property, I'll take some photos soon. The internet here is not great so it's hard to upload photos.

But more importantly today is a bit of a melancholy day. As I sit here in my hotel room I've got Jerrell, Andrew, and Ryan conversing all around me, even more people are filtering in and out. We're all trying to hold on to the last vestiges of our group as we're all scheduled to depart today. Our family is splitting up and its a sad day for everyone.

We say we'll keep in contact, I sincerely hope that happens because I've truly come to love each of them. I came to Guyana, not knowing anyone and I really shouldn't have been scared. I met 33 of my closest friends out here. These people are amazing and I know I can rely on any one of them for anything. It's incredible that we all became so close in such a short amount of time.

I know this is short but I have to get going. I have a lot of packing left to do and not much time to do it. I hope everyone's doing okay. I'm getting a permanent address here real soon and I'll let everyone know what it is so I can receive all your care packages. I miss you all.

P.S. Rob, if you're reading this I miss you and feel free to give me a call or an email some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment